Monday, November 9, 2009

The Way Golf Used to Be



Even if the game was still in the persimmon age, I'm not sure I'd be grinding it out on tour every week... now. I'm not sure I was ever completely in love with that lifestyle. As much as I enjoy golf, I never really liked playing 6 days a week. Most other sports don't play every day. If you're making cuts, playing the Wednesday pro ams, and doing your homework on Tuesday, that's a lot of golf. If you're on a tour, as a normal cat out there, you play every week. Olympic athletes often train for just a few events every year.. or even just one day.

For some reason professional golf developed into this 6 day thing. There is so much money out there now on tour, I have to wonder how many of them would still play if the money dried up, and it just became about golf again.

In a couple of weeks, I am going down to Las Vegas to play in the TRGA Las Vegas Classic. http://trga.info. Persimmons, blades, on a great old style track with a deep rich history. Last year was just a fabulous time.. and to hear everyone cracking the persimmons off the first tee really felt good again. The golf course played the way it should, with all the fairway bunkers back in play, and the use of all the clubs in your bag. 450 yard par fours mean driver- 3 iron, not wedge.

I know I harp on about this, on my Advanced Ball Striking forum from time to time, but I'm not the only one who feels this way. We'll have some fine players down there again this year... like last year, and it's fun to see it grow as this is now going to be the third TRGA event. No titanium frying pans, no long putters, low compression golf balls.. not perimeter weighted light weight irons. No 60 degree wedges.

I like the odds better than the blackjack tables... and if you play well, you might be able to pay your caddie, put gas in the car, pay your room bill, and buy a couple rounds of drinks.. just like the way golf used to be

No comments:

Post a Comment